Monday, February 23, 2009

The bad words....

So, where do I even begin..........

There are certain words in my home that I don't allow. I have always called them bad words and not allowed my children to say them. Words such as - butt, stupid, shut up, and my least favorite word of all time - fart. I am not so naive as to believe that these words never come out of my children's mouths, but I can report that they do not come out around me...except for those occasions when B wants to know how old he has to be to say these off-limit words....especially butt and my least favorite word - fart.

So we are out to eat dinner last night - G is on a business trip - AGAIN- he has been gone 15 out of the last 26 days......but I digress - that is an entirely different post.

So, dinner, last night - I am asking the boys about their day and Lu says he is reading a book at school that has some bad words in it. "OK," I say, "what bad words?" And he says, "you know mom the bad s words like stupid and shut up" and I say, "Oh, OK!" Then B pops off and says,"You know there is another bad s word..." and I (stupidly) say, "Which one?" and he says, plain as day, "You know Shit!" Oh my! My children really believe that stupid - shut up - shit are all on the same level..........is this good or bad?? Anyway, I had to explain to them that their are bad words and then their are cuss words. We talked about how some mommies don't care if their kid says butt or stupid and that is OK because all mommies are different and they just happened to get a mommy that doesn't think these words do anything to enhance the English language. HOWEVER - cuss words, such as the one B so sweetly shared with us at dinner are completely off limits. We don't say these - no matter what! These are the words that hurt God's ears and his heart.

Sheesh.....I hope this at least carries me for the next few years.......parenting, you've gotta love it!

5 comments:

Rhonda Goolsby said...

I am administering an exam tonight and almost busted out laughing at this posting! Thanks for the happy moments in my day, Lisa!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

That IS funny, sitting on the other side of the computer! Ha! M mom had those same rules...if we said, stupid, shutup, fart, or forgot to say no ma'am or no sir, etc...we had to put a quarter in this jar she had in the kitchen. We hated it, but it did get the message across! And I did like the explanation that cuss words hurt God's ears and his heart. So true! They will remember that if you keep repeating and repeating it! You're such a great mom!

Kierstyn said...

I like the "Words that hurt God's ears and heart".

Mental note, because I'm sure I'll need it.

The Magnuson Family said...

That is really funny. Good thing Ashtyn isn't talking yet, I need the time to come up with my bad word speeches. I think I'm going to use your "Cuss words hurt God's ears and his heart."

Grammy Jane said...

Lisa, hang in there. I'm so proud of you. I'm going to write down the explanation that bad words "hurt God's ears and heart" so I can be ready to share that with my 4 grandsons who are now only three months, one, and twins that are two years old. I'm sure the day will come when they will need this bit of wisdom you've shared with us. Thanks!