Sunday, March 15, 2009

Ah, Facebook

I admit it - I have had the experience. A little more than a year ago a friend of mine was getting ready for her 20 year reunion and many of her friends were joining facebook to reconnect. I didn't get it. I love to email and blog. Why do I need one more thing to do? Well, I fought technology as long as I could and then about 4 months ago I gave in and joined facebook. I still didn't get it. At first, about 90% of my friends lived within a 5 mile radius of me. I knew what they were doing without checking their status daily. Or did I? As my time on facebook has multiplied (much to my sweet husbands chagrin - he REFUSES to join, oh well...he doesn't know what he is missing!) I realize all the rage! I have reconnected with many friends from high school and even junior high when we lived in another town. And I know even more about my local friends than I did before (and not in a creepy way!). Just this morning at church several people inquired about Lu and his health thanks to my status updates on facebook. Someone asked if I had gone to the rodeo yesterday since my status was about being in Houston. And I had a great conversation with a friend about her job - again, something I had learned from her status update on facebook. I don't think this advancing technology is making us grow apart, but instead grow closer as we know more about what each one is doing.

And the weird thing is my thoughts have come to mimic status updates. You know as I am getting ready to do something I will be thinking, "Lisa is so happy to be going to church today!" Or, "Lisa is ready for the rain to end and the sun to shine."

Ah, technology...it is scary to see what will be next!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ha! I know exactly what you mean! Amy is beyond tired of the rain and wind and can't wait to run outside again! Hehehe!

Kierstyn said...

Me too! I status update in my head ALL the time! I can come up with some really good ones too. :-)

and for this stay-at-home (at least most of the time) mommy, FB is a great way for me to not feel so isolated. I feel like I can take 2 minutes and catch up with REAL people. Grown ups, no less!