Sunday, September 16, 2007

Reflections!

So, this past week was bad. I am not sure if it is the enforcements of boundaries or the 3rd week of school slump, but we had many frustrating moments - mostly with our almost 8 year old! By Thursday he was in tears and by Friday morning we were both in tears. Between full day school, homework, and baseball practice I think the poor kid is exhausted. And he has this new obsession with clothes and what he will wear (and more importantly not wear) to school. All of his cargo shorts were dirty...can you believe it? He was going to be forced to wear a different, brand new, tag still on back to school pair of shorts that were not cargo. Are you crying for him yet?? I would expect this from a 16 year old girl, but an 8 year old boy - are you serious?? Well, I was determined not to do laundry so that some of his other shorts could have a chance to make an appearance. He was less than happy with me - too bad!!

Then God - the ultimate parent and role model - provided me with this great opportunity:

It is now Saturday and as I was getting ready to run my errands I casually asked the boys if they wanted to come along - because they NEVER want to come along - and guess who wants to come along?? The grumpy 8 year old. So I make it sound like the errands are going to be long, grueling, boring, awful...but he still wants to accompany me. Well, long story short - we had a great time! He was back to his sweet, nice FABULOUS self! We laughed and skipped and talked and really enjoyed each others company (Keep in mind he still did not have on cargo shorts because I still hadn't washed :)) I really think it was God's way of helping me remember what an awesome kid B is and how much fun we can have together. At one point he asked me to buy him something and I said no and he said, "OK. I don't want to whine about it!" and that was it! Wow! I was reminded of the bible verse I have tried claim for the year.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
-Ephesians 4:2

2 comments:

Katie said...

Wow - what a sweetie he is!!! And I am so enjoying your blog. Awsome writing!

Puente Family said...

Amazing post!!! I know I have so much to look forward to and I love every moment of it...even the trying ones. :-) I am so glad you are a blogger. I hope you don't mind that I add you on my friend list so I can keep up with your blog! :-) stacie