Thursday, September 6, 2007

Camping in August

So, we went camping the weekend before school started. Sounds crazy, huh? Nothing like that August heat and a primitive campsite to get you ready for school! Really we had a great time! Lu was all about helping with the tent set-up. When he was done, he proudly admired his work!
B was mostly concerned with the location of the food and snacks. He doesn't enjoy being hungry!
We hit the lake for hours that afternoon. We had a blast! However, the evening provided a couple of challenges for us. First, we played out on the lake a little too long. B was STARVING be the time we returned to camp and our fire was slow to start. There was some heavy duty whining and complaining going on! He managed to survive until the burgers were ready and ate every bite of his! Then he was done! No marshmallow roasting, no camp-fire songs or stories, just straight to bed! Okay! Speaking of bed, that was problem #2: our air mattress had a leak. Not to worry, we had a patch kit and thought the problem was all fixed. So B and I go to lay down and the mattress feels great. About midnight I knew we were in trouble and by 2 a.m. I had to wake up G because the boys and I were sleeping on the floor. I moved in with him and his foam pad while the boys seemed OK on the floor. Around 3:30 I woke up to here the boys talking to one another as they realized the air mattress was completely our of air so they came to join us on the thin, foam pads! Needless to say we were all up in the early 6's and I was a bear!! I believe that was what G was trying to show in the picture below!
Finally, we went back out on the lake around 10 and played until about 1. It was really a great experience and I look forward to doing it again - when it is a little cooler and I am guaranteed a BED to sleep in!!

1 comment:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Where did y'all camp? You know that's one of our favorite things to do! Fairly inexpensive entertainment. I will say I wish we had a boat to take with us...someday, someday!